Is a Music minor for me?
If you have a passion for music — whether it is a newly found interest or something you have been involved in throughout your life — the highly flexible and customizable Music minor will be a great fit. Courses from any and all areas of music can be combined into your unique program of study, one that can be tailored to work great alongside your major coursework. Start planning with an academic advisor today.
What are the requirements for my Music minor?
- Take MUS 119 Introduction to Music Theory
You can take this class first, last, or whenever it fits your schedule. This course is offered regularly as an in-person and online course and is taught most Fall and Spring, and some Summer, semesters.
- Take 15 additional elective Music units
Any MUS (Music) and MUSI (Music Individual Studies) courses can be used in your Music minor. Additionally courses cross-listed or co-taught with Music can be included. There is no required performance element; conversely, ALL of your elective units could be performance units if you choose.
- Ensure that at least 9 units are upper-division
9 of your 15 elective Music units must be numbered 300 or higher. Many popular electives, as well as all large and small ensembles, including the Pride of Arizona, are upper-division and so meeting this requirement is usually easy to achieve. Talk to an academic advisor to ensure you are on track.
- Graduate with a minor in Music from the University of Arizona!
How do I declare my Music minor?
If your cumulative GPA is 2.00 or higher, you can declare the Music minor today. Contact an advisor to make it official!
What if I love it and want to do more?
If the Music courses you take in your minor inspire you to do more — whether by switching to Music as your primary major or by adding a second degree or major — then great! You can find out more about our majors here.
Every unit taken towards a Music minor can be applied to a Bachelor of Arts (BA) Music degree if you declare that major. The Bachelor of Arts (BA) Music degree is an exciting, mould-breaking, and interdisciplinary program that can be tailored to connect your musical interests with your other passions and study in related or unrelated fields. The BA Music degree may require as few as 30 additional units beyond the Music minor.
What Else Should I Know?
- Pride of Arizona Marching Band: The world famous Pride of Arizona marching band offers course credit for all participants through enrollment in MUS 400B and this credit counts towards your Music minor!
- Applied lessons: If you are interested in taking individual lessons in your primary instrument or voice as part of the major, an audition is required. Please see audition requirements for each studio here. Availability of applied lessons to Music minors is contingent on studio capacity/enrollment as well as audition performance.
- Ensembles: There are numerous large and small ensembles open to all students through audition and many more that require no audition and no prior experience. Learn more here and connect with an academic advisor if you have any questions.
- Pre-requisites: A number of Music courses are either sequential or have pre-requisite requirements. These are shown in the Class Search in UAccess Student Center. If you have questions about enrolling in one of these courses, you are welcome to contact the listed instructor or to connect with an academic advisor.
- Advising: We recommend that you check in with the Music minor advisor briefly every semester or whenever questions arise. You should also plan to check in with an advisor prior to your penultimate semester (meaning, the beginning of the semester before you plan to graduate).